Have sore jaw and swollen throat. Blood test normal. What could be causing this?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor, on Thursday my 19 year old daughter woke up with a sore jaw and very very swollen in her throat and face area closer to the outside of her face and below her ears (making her ears swell out as well). She went to the clinic and they thought that it could be mono but weren't sure. they sent her for blood tests as well as taking a swab. She works with children and she did not want to expose them to something if she did indeed have mono. So she went to emergency to have blood work done right away. the blood work came back that she did not have mono and the doctor there also didn't know what it could be that she had. He also took a throat swab. They prescribed her something for the swelling as well as amoxicillan incase of a throat infection. The following morning the swelling and gotten worse and the pain in her jaw had not gone away. She then went to the clinic again and saw a new doctor. They suggested doing another test for mono along with a test for mumps ( although she had her shots for that) - just in case. That doctor also explained that it could be an infection in her lymph nodes or possibly blicked sdaliva ducts? She suggested to continue taking the amoxicillan and waiting for the blood test to come back. She has taken 6 doses of the medication (2 Friday, 3 yesterday and 1 this morning) the swelling has not gone down but the pain has decapitated. I am wondering if you have any suggestions of what this could be and/or if you think that she is contagious - because she works with children. If in fact this is an infection of her lymph nodes would the swelling have gone away by now or when will it go away?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Hi there
In un-immunised kids this description surely is like mumps and at times diphtheria…
Though both are very rare… occasionally there may be an accidental contact and single shot may not give hundred percent protection…
Treatment is often supportive with painkillers and will take up to ten days till complete resolution.
If at all these are nodes… throat or ear is likely to be inflamed and red…I insist an Head and neck surgeon consult. That will be fruitful making a perfect diagnosis. It requires special skills to identify the lymph node swelling. If it is lymph node infection swelling it takes a week or 10 days more to subside. However a lot can be told after an exact diagnosis.
Blocked duct need not cause pathology on both sides…
All the above possibilities, treatment is same except if it were mono… the said antibiotic would not have been needed. The antibiotic should be continued.
She is doing right by staying away from kids. I appreciate that. She needs to be away till the time the diagnosis is made and complete treated.
Thanks… write back if any further query.