Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have small, hard, tender round lump on upper palatine. Any ideas what it could be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hello Dr. Chakraborty:
I am a former nurse that is stymied by the small, hard, tender round lump on my upper palatine. It is not discolored, is non productive when I scrape it with my nail. Would you please give me an idea what this could be. I do not smoke, never have, do not drink and pretty much have the normal aging (I am 62) year old maladies. Please advise if you would kind sir.

Thank you in advance
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting this query.

The differential diagnosis’ for such a lump in the roof of the mouth or palate are Torus palatinus and oral cancer.

Torus palatines are hard, bony growths covered by firm, pink gum tissue on the hard palate. They cannot be moved with fingers and usually start at an early age. Usually they are small and then they can grow very slowly. There is nothing to be worried about such growths because they are a normal anatomy of the oral cavity.

Second possibility is of oral cancer which usually presents as painless growth. Usually malignancies begin in the floor of the mouth but may sometimes start from roof also. Biopsy of the lesion can help in identifying any such malignancy. You should get it examined from an ENT surgeon to confirm the diagnosis as treatment is diagnosis specific.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor