Have painless nodule under skin on penile shaft. Safe remedy?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: I have a painless nodule under skin of penis shaft for 3months.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. Based on the fact that you have posted, which is rather incomplete it is difficult to give opinion. Will you please furnish following details so that I can conclude

1) Is it increasing in size?
2) Is it associated with fever?
3) Is there history of unprotected sex before appearance of this nodule?
4) Does the swelling have some whitish opening?
5) Do you have any urinary problem?

Hope to get feedback from you. I shall be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Here are my response to your questions:
1. No increase in size or even a little decrease compared to 3months ago when I first noticed it.
2. No fever
3. No sex ever before
4. Sorry that I do not know exactly what whitish opening means. since it is under the skin, I do not know its colour.
5. No urinary problems.
thank-you.
Hello
Thanks for your feedback.
Based on the information that you have provided, it appears to be a simple sebaceous cyst. Since the skin of the penis and scrotum have more sebaceous glands (glands which secrete oil), it is prone to get sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebaceous material beneath the skin. By white opening, I mean whether can you see any white cheesy material coming out of it. This is my provisional opinion about the nodule, however final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination So please consult a well experienced surgeon for a clinical assessment and diagnosis.There is nothing to worry as this looks to be benign in nature and curable.
Please feel free if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 48 minutes later
Thanks for your answer.
Can the nodule be left untreated?
Is it related to any form of malignancy?
I cannot see any white material coming out from it
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
You can observe it for couple of months more and may consult Surgeon if it increases in size or gets infected ( becomes red or swollen or gets painful),
Considering the long duration the nodule has been there, there are no chances of it being malignant in nature.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Many thanks to your advice.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 53 minutes later
Hello

Thanks.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Please provide a review before closing the query, if you do not have any further queries.

with Regards
Dr.Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan