Have pain at tailbone which increases on sitting or lying down. Cause and cure?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have rectal pain and pressure, seems to be more tender when sitting or laying down, better when standing. Feel fine excercising as I ran 2 miles today no problem. Not necessarily pain but pressure around anus and into rectum and seems that my tailbone is sore like a bruise. Otherwise health adult male 36 years old, no history of anything and cleared 3 months ago on full physcial and bloodwork.
Came on almost two weeks ago and has persisted. Stool seems to be darker in color and while I am going, it is smaller and more often so not sure if it is some weird consitpation thing.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Pain at tailbone which increases on sitting or lying down suggests coccydynia. In this condition, there is inflammation at tailbone means coccyx.

You should start with good diet and plenty of water and fruits. If stools becomes soft and pain decreases, then no further investigation is needed. Otherwise, x-ray sacrum lateral view will be necessary for coccydynia.

Hope I have answered your query. Any follow up questions are welcome.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E