Have osteoporosis. What treatment should be done? Recovery time?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I apparently need a hip replacement. I have osteoporosis. What type of procedure is appropriate for me? is there a type of hip prosthetic more suitable? how long is the recovery time?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query

When a hip replacement is performed, the arthritic, damaged hip joint is removed. The ball-and-socket hip joint is then replaced with an artificial implant. The materials used in the implant depend on several factors, including the age of the patient, the activity level of the patient, and the surgeon's preference. The types of implants used are:
1. Metal and Plastic Implant: The metal and plastic implants are the most commonly used hip replacement implants. Both the ball and the socket of the hip joint are replaced with a metal prosthesis, and a plastic spacer is placed in between.
2. Metal-on-Metal Implant: Metal-on-metal implants use similar materials, but there is no plastic piece inserted between.
3. Ceramic-on-Ceramic Implant: Ceramic-on-ceramic implants are designed to be the most resistant to wear of all available hip replacement implants. Ceramics are more scratch resistant and smoother than any of these other implant materials.
4. Metal and Highly Crosslinked Polyethylene: Highly crosslinked plastics are used instead of traditional plastics.

The fixations of the implant are of two types: cement or cementless. The bone and the implant when attached by the bone cement is called cement fixation. Certain implants attach to the bone without cement. Cementless fixation is most commonly used now a days.

The final choice of implant will be based upon health factors specific to you, damaged occurred to joint as well as your surgeon’s experience, education and expertise with the specific manufacturer’s products. Be sure to talk with your surgeon about which implant type he or she intends to use in your hip replacement and the reasons for the specific implant chosen. The complete recovery time for the procedure is about 1-2 months if there is no complications depending upon implant used and stability of the joint. But you can start walking with walker and partial weight bearing after 10-20 days of surgery.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back is you have any further query. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes and have a good health.
Dr. Kulbir Singh