Have odd piercing pain in stomach. No lumps or swelling. Worrisome

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: The last few days I have an odd piercing pain only when I lay back on the bed or try to sit up. I have no lumps or swelling near the pain and it does not hurt otherwise.....only lying down or getting up. I am 45 and play soccer 5 days per week and in top shape. Help....concerned.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Let me know the exact site of pain; whether upper backache or lower backache.
You are most likely suffering from disc prolapse.
There may also possibility of neurogenic claudication which get aggravated just after standing or sitting posture.
Presence of localized backache , no radiation in lower limbs and athletic personality suggests the diagnosis.
As such there is no correlation between high blood pressure & personality and defined symptoms.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for through neurological check up.
You should go for x XXXXXXX of the affected spine on preliminary basis.
You should also for CT/ MRI scan of the affected spine: MRI is the best for both bony and soft tissue disease demarcation.
CT myelography is indicated if treating physician suspect foramina (from where nerve roots comes out) narrowing induced radiculopathy.

You should also consult with physiotherapist.
You should take strict bed rest and avoid sitting on floor.
You should take medicine for neuropathic pain on written prescription from your treating doctor.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
I was on a long car ride for 28 hours over 11 days. My lower back was hurting on the right side and I thought nothing of it. Now my stomach has the pain described on the lower left side. Approximately 3 inches left side of belly button and only a few inches down.There is no pain to the area when I push on it deeply with my fingers
Hi XXXXXXX,
Do you have watery diarrhea/ vomiting/ constipation/ burning urination?
You should also go for ultrasound imaging studies for detail evaluation of abdomen.
You should take analgesics along with muscle relaxants.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
I do not have any of those symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 hours later
You should go for CT/ MRI scan of spine and should take analgesic along with muscle relaxants.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava