Have mild diabetes. Why do I feel cold while sitting in sun?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: My dad, age 78, while sitting in the sun, suddenly got severe chills. He has mild diabetes. We took his blood sugar and it was 108. He has been around 125 usually. I gave him a piece of chocolate and a little bit of Coke. The chills went away, and then he was very tired. Was this a hypoglycemic attack? Should I be watching for any other symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

For sure this was not hypoglycemic attack. It can happen with blood sugar level around 30-40 mg% but not with 100.
You need to imagine that with diabetes lasting for years, plenty of nerves fibers are getting damaged what weakens pain feeling all over the body. So you need to be aware that he can have no typical symptoms with many diseases including heart attack and stroke.
So severe chills could be caused by blood pressure drop, heart attack, stroke or even pulmonary embolism.
You should watch for symptoms like increased heart rate, low/high blood pressure, shortness of breath, chest burning, chest pain radiating to the jaw or left arm, caught, livid lips, livid fingertips under the nails.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.