Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have lump located near shoulder. Sore to touch. Any suggestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a bump (pimple?) on my left arm located near my shoulder. It began as a pimple that itched and has become larger approximately 1/8 - 3/16 inches. It is whitish in the center and has a red outer ring and is now sore to touch.

Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query .
Considering the details you have provided you seem to have most probably a fungal infection of the skin which usually does cause such itchy lesions with central clearing and peripheral erythematous ring .
However there are other possibilities like an annular psoriasis or a chronic bacterial infection .
The next best step would be to get a confirmed diagnosis which is possible only after a thorough evaluation by your dermatologist ( skin specialist ) who after examination and if required certain tests like woods lamp testing , KOH mount , skin biopsy etc come to the exact diagnosis and start suitable treatment .

Meanwhile you should try the following for some relief .
1. Keep the region as clean and dry as possible , you may try using antifungal dusting powders like clotrimazole or ketoconazole for application after bath and at bedtime .
2. For itching and pain relief temporary relief may be offered by antihistamine tablets like fexofenadine or chlorpheniramine and analgesics like acetaminophen as per your doctors prescription ( usually twice daily would suffice in minor conditions )
3. Local application of antifungal antibiotic creams or ointments ( miconazole , ketoconazole with fusidic acid ) may provide relief if the diagnosis is confirmed to be infectious .
4. Please avoid scratching the area or application of any oils or occlusive dressings on the area .
5. If you get such lesions elsewhere in the body please seek prompt medical help as it may indicate an underlying systemic illness like diabetes or immunosuppression .
As of now it's advisable you consult your dermatologist and its very likely to resolve within a couple of weeks of treatment with local and oral medications .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor