Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

148 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have lower back pain and pelvic pressure. Advised antibiotic. Looking for suggestion

Answered by
Dr. G.Srinivasan


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 1414 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Question: I have lower back pain, and pelvic pressure. No fever. Dr found trace blood and white cells and ordered antibiotics. She said because I stay so well hydrated she was going to order a urine culture. Why order a culture just because I am we'll hydrated? What's she looking for? Thank you
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The symptoms and urine analysis are suggestive of infection in the urine. So the logical next step would be to check the urine for any growth called urine culture test.
There is no specific link between hydration and culture test. If the concentrating ability of the kidneys need to be checked, which may be necessary in specific situations (not in your case) then hydration status is a must.
In summary, please collect midstream urine for culture test ( after discarding the initial few mls of urine)
Hope this helps.
Kindly get back for doubts if any,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
When she found blood and white cell in the urine the fact that I'm well hydrated would have no bearing on the amount of blood or white cells and level of infection, is that correct? I'm concerned about kidney infection.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back. You are correct.
If these are not present, it is simple bladder infection and a course of antibiotics should do the trick. Even if it is kidney infection, three weeks of antibiotics should lead to cure.
Get well soon.
Best Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Bacteriuria

doctor1 MD


My 9 year old son has all the symptoms of a kidney infection. Pain with urination, one sided back pain, nausea, he vomited once, and a fever. But, the urine culture is negative. The doctor put him on bactrim because she said it sounds like a kidney infection. What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts. Is it possible to have a kidney infection with negative culture? He has had kidney infections before.

doctor1 MD

I have been having black and brown spots in my urine which is painful during and after urination. I also have been having a lot of back pain and was recently treated for a kidney infection by my urologist... Am I passing stones or something else
I am a 28 yr old female with a history of uti and kidney infections

doctor1 MD

(1) It is unusual for an elderly male who has been in a hospital for a month to have a UTI for a week or more without having the usual symptoms of a UTI (e.g. painful sensation when urinating, increased urge to urinate or fever )? (2) Can BOTH a...

doctor1 MD

90 year old. UTI started KEFLEX 500mg at six pm today. Agitated, bladder discomfort (has 16 Foley since Dec 5th). Urine flowing freely Oxygen 88. Pulse 97. Blood pressure 148/68 (used wrist monitor at heart level) Temperature 96.9 Q: are these...

doctor1 MD

hello sir my 9 month old son have a fever last week.At that time there was a Urine infection noticed in Urine culture test.After this doctor advised to do an abdominal scanning and result was right kidney slightly dilated. Then doctor told me...

doctor1 MD

if you go to a pregnancy test and it turns out negative but you have a urinary tract infection can the infection change the result of the test? and is urinary tract infection common sign in early pregnancy?
and would you recommend retaking the pregnancy test?
Regards Sammy

doctor1 MD

my father had a urine culture and it came back as escherichia coli greater than 100,000 colony forming units per ml and pseudomonas aeruginosa greater than 100,000 colony forming units per ml. His doctor wants to admit him into the hospital for IV antibiotics, is this necessary, He has had no symptoms as far as fever, chills, etc