• question-icon

Are bladder discomfort, high pulse rate and fever symptoms of sepsis?

Posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 90 year old. UTI started KEFLEX 500mg at six pm today. Agitated, bladder discomfort (has 16 Foley since Dec 5th). Urine flowing freely
Oxygen 88. Pulse 97. Blood pressure 148/68 (used wrist monitor at heart level)
Temperature 96.9
Q: are these Sepsis symptoms?
Q: what symptoms would suggest an ER visit?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue antibiotic, catheter needs to be removed- sepsis signs explained

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The symptoms you are mentioning are typical with urinary infection. As I read from your message you are having a catheter since beginnig of December. Catheters are very helpful to have a normal urine flow but they carry the risk for bacteriuria (increased bacteria in the urine) and might predispose for urinary tract infection and in some cases for sepsis also.

It is good you have started keflex and you should take it at least for 5 days and make sure you drink plenty to flush the urinary system and help clearing the infection.

Sepsis is a complication that might happen with urinary infections especially in elderly. The signs of sepsis are fever, chills, tiredness, general unwell feeling, lethargy, diorientation, low blood pressure, high pulse, etc. You do not seem to have the symptoms of sepsis at the moment.

If you notice the above symptoms than you will need to see a doctor as soon as possible. It might still be due to the urinary infection but still you will need to have a visit to be sure.

Another thing that needs to be done is that when urinary infections happen while on catheter than the catheter needs to be removed as soon as possible and then the doctor will decide to replace it or not. So you will need to have a visit with a doctor to see the need to remove the catheter.

I hope this is helpful to you and answers to your questions.

I wish you quick improvement.

Kind regards,

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj