Have less moustache and beard on face. Semen analysis done. Do I have any serious illness?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hello sir,

I 'm facing of low moustache and beard on my face.I consulted an homeo physician,as per his advice went for certain tests.Please refer test results of semen analysis below as :
reaction : alkaline
vol :1.5 ml
liquification time :30 mins
sperm count : 130 million/ml
motile : 80
sluggish:05
immotile:15
pus cells : 6-8 /hpf
morphology : 90% normal
==================================
testosterone total : 3.67ng/ml CLIA
free testosterone 23.80pg/ml ELISA

Please suggest me is there problem or any weekness as per report in my body ?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Based on the report that you have posted I am rather doubtful about the report that you have posted or there is possibility of typing error while reporting.The normal testosterone levels for your age are between 500 t0 1000 ng/dl. So get it verified and post again.
Will you kindly answer few more questions to come to a proper conclusion
1) Do you have normal libido ? (Desire for Sex)
2) Do you get good erection ?
3) Does your body has normal Physique ?

Since you have low moustache and beard on face this suggest androgen deficiency( Low Testosterone) which may be due to either
1)Inadequate production by Testis itself or
2)Due to deficiency of Hormone Prolactin secreted by Pituitary gland.
Please repeat your Serum Testosterone levels and Serum Prolactin and consult qualified Endocrinologist for proper evaluation and management.You may need to take Testosterone supplements as per his/her advice.
Apart from the pus cells, the semen analysis report looks largely normal
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
Hi Sir,
First of all thanks a lot for giving your valuable time.I have noticed the figures being mentioned the reports as below :

Investigation Findings Reference Range Method
========= ====== ============ ======
Testosterone Total(Serum) 3.67 Adult 2.8-8.0ng/ml CLIA
Free Testosterone(Serum) 23.60 Adult 8.69-54.69 pg/dl ELISA

As per sex drive is concerned,I will get normal erection,hardness during morning hours.I felt I always have good interest towards sex,normal masturbation (sometimes weekly twice / thrice ). As per physique is concerned,I got weight around 95 kgs.Height : 6 mts (almost),good appetite.
I'm also facing issues related to concentration as it is effecting my work and studies a lot.

You have mentioned apart from pus cells, rest of things are largely normal in semen analysis.Please mention if it has any problem.

I'm completely disturbed because of this issue sir, please guide me shall I continue the homeo medicine which I'm taking right now? Please suggest any good endocrinologist in Bangalore whom I can consult.

Also suggest, Is Apollo Clinic where I got this test done an appropriate place or shall I go for any other lab.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 29 minutes later

Thanks for feedback. Your Testosterone levels are more on the lower side of normal values. Since you do not have any issue regarding erection and sex drive, you need not worry at all.

As regards continuing homeopathy medicine, I am as ignorant as you are about Homoeopathy. But as there is no harm in taking it, you may continue with them. However if they are not helping you much, you may discuss with any homeopathy expert.

Presence of 5-6 pus cells reported in semen analysis suggests infection either in Prostate or Seminal Vesicle; this will get cured with a course of antibiotic like Doxycycline.

Please repeat your Serum Testosterone in Apollo clinic after two weeks preferably in the morning.

You can consult well experienced Endocrinologist in any renowned Hospital in Bangalore. As I do not have any personal reference I am sorry I am unable to help you with this regards.

Please do not get disturbed and be calm and composed and try to allay anxiety. Things will settle down over a period of time.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries. I shall try to address the same.

Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 16 hours later
Thanks a lot sir.As homeo medicine I'm taking from past 7 months,but I cannot any considerable change in my body.Also as per doctor, I need to to take some more months but as I'm not that satisfied,I will prefer to consult XXXXXXX endocrinologist from Fortis or Jayadeva hospital in Bangalore as suggested by you in coming days.

Normally, Is there any side effects if they recommend to take additional supplements as you mentioned in previous mail ?

I went for test some 6 months before.Do I need to repeat "semen analysis" as well as "serum testosterone" or only "serum testosterone" is enough before meeting a doctor ? Please suggest.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Please do inform me about the opinion of endocrinologist through XXXXXXX You can repeat both Serum Testosterone and Semen analysis before consulting him.

There are side effects of supplement therapy when it is taken for a long duration and in heavy dosage. However, you need not worry, as you will be under observation of a qualified Endocrinologist.

Dr. Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Will inform you sir about the same.

Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up. I would be waiting for your feedback .
Wish you speedy recovery and Best of luck
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil