Have itchy skin on wrist and noticed bluish bump. What is causing this?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My boyfriend and I were joking around and his elbow jammed into the inside part of my wrist where two large veins are. I immediately have a blue-ish bump that looks like its on top of two veins and a tendon maybe. My skin is itchy too and it hurts. It just seems like a weird reaction and wanted to make sure it wasn't anything major! Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. Blunt injury at the location mentioned by you can cause some oozing from the vein which must be showing as a bump. I suggest if you can upload a photograph of the wrist using the facility provided on this site I would be in a better position to comment on it.

I suggest you apply some ice compression and thereafter a pressure bandage (crepe bandage) on the site. This shall prevent it from increasing further and reduce the pain, if any.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the injury.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Thank you! I got freaked out and thought maybe I could get a blood clot! I did in fact ice it for a few minutes so far. That has helped.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 58 minutes later

Thanks for the update and am pleased that it has helped you. Just to ensure that the swelling does not increase it is better to apply a pressure bandage for a day.

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing the quey then do write a review.