Have irregular period problem. Got periods after intercourse. Is this normal?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: i am from india. i am 27 year old,5.4'' in height & my weight is 90 kg. i have a baby of 6 yrs.my sex life is normal.
i have had always an irregular period problem.this month, i had my period on 16 th,& it ended on 21 st.but suddenly,after having sex on 26 th ,i am having period again. is it normal?do help me out please,i'm really tensed.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

The possibilities are:
-If you had only spotting, then there is possibility of post-coital tear.
-If the period was like normal bleeding,
then it could be inter-menstrual bleeding due to causes like hormonal imbalance, fibroids, polyps etc.
So if the bleeding is still there better to consult gynecologist once to undergo physical examination and ultrasound examination to find out the cause for your problem and take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 26 minutes later
thank you mam,for your answer.
yes,I am having period like bleeding now,though it has started just few hours ago.but when i met my doctor a couple of months back,she checked me & said that everything is alright but i have a polycystic ovary as i am overweight.though i always have had an irregular period,i never had problem like having period twice a month.could this turn into a major problem,mam?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Poly cystic ovary disease usually presents with menstrual irregularities like delayed periods, amenorrhea etc., but sometimes it can also present with symptoms like inter-menstrual bleeding.
And also few months are enough for the development of fibroids or polyp.
So better to consult the gynecologist and get evaluated to find out the cause, and take treatment to stop the bleeding and also to prevent recurrence.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
sorry mam,for the late reply.but i wanted to inform you that the bleeding has already stopped after 4-5 hours.so,should i consult a doctor for further examination? or it is a usual symptom of having poly cystic ovary?

As bleeding stopped, no need to consult gynecologist at present.
Bleeding that stopped 4 to 5 hours after the intercourse could be post-coital bleed.
So you observe the next cycle, if the inter-menstrual bleeding repeats in the next cycle, then that could be due to poly cystic ovary disease.
In that case you consult gynecologist.