Have immoveable lump under skin and sore to touch. What do you suggest?

Dr. Lokesh K N

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Brain Tumor
Question: Hi, ive has a small hard immoveable lump under skin, in back of neck, almost along the muscle bwteen head and right shoulder, for many years. Never hurts or grows and years ago, docs said it was nothing to worry about. Last night, i was playing around with it, rubbing it, applying pressure, checking to make sure it hadnt grown and didnt hurt..and it hadnt. But this morning, when i aoke, the lump and or the area around it now seems swollen, larger, tender, and sore to the touch? Any thoughts? Bith my mom and her mom died of brain anueryms, and though ive had mra etc f the brain and been cleared, i always worry one could also show up somewhere else...or could this be a tumor, or a cyst inhave somehow popped with all my touching of it last night? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Lokesh K N 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: biopsy needed to confirm diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, The lump in the neck was there for many years and your doctor had advised nothing to worry, so it may be a benign lesion like lipoma etc.... The presence of pain usually rules out a malignant lesion unless it involves the surrounding nerves. The increasing size of a benign swelling and immovable lesion goes in favor of malignant lesion. The cystic lesions are soft in consistency and may fluctuate. Aneurysms are very pulsatile swellings, i think the aneurysms has nothing to do with this swelling as it is the unusual site for the aneurysms. The rapid increase in size with a pain and sore to touch usually goes in favor inflammatory lesion which may needs anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. This increasing lesion needs to be examined by a surgeon or surgical oncologist for provisional diagnosis and to decide the need for biopsy to confirm diagnosis. Hope i have answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E