Have hyperpigmentation conditions and black patch on face and neck. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Bharat Chawda

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,

I have a hyper figmentation condition and black patch on forehead, around eyes, ear and neck. Remaining skin is very fair and these patches are standing out. This condition is existing from last 10 years.

I consulted doctor in my home town and he mentioned Skin Pelling would help and will have permanent effect and adviced to get it done in Bangalore. I aresults are ok.lso started using some cosmetics from last couple of months and

I would like to have another opinion on this:
Will skin peeling have an permanent effect and help reduce black patches.
What is the care I should take before and after skin peeling.
What is the success rate of skin peeling? What can I expect?
Please suggest best hospitals for getting skin peeling procedure in Bangalore

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting your query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.
I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Are you using any hair XXXXXXX or hair color ?
2) What cosmetics do you use on face and since when ?
3) Did this pigmentation start after you have started taking tablets for cholesterol?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
But with history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

There is a possibility that it is due to some external agent like a hair XXXXXXX oils or some cosmetic .In such cases it is known as Toxic melanoderma or Riehl's melanosis.
The other possibility could be of Lichen planus pigmentosis(LPP).
Both these conditions are not easy to treat and it takes long time to show results.

I doubt that chemical peels would have any effect on this .But since the options are less you can try it out .There are various medications also available for the same which your dermatologist can prescribe you .Even if you get some results following chemical peels ,it may not be permanent .Avoidance of causative agents is very important & to find the exact cause is even more important.I have seen some good results with Lasers too (esp Q-Switched Nd:yag laser) .So you need to consult a competent dermatologist who has all these above facilities .May be that you may need to go for a skin biopsy to find the exact cause.

In chemical peels various chemical like glycolic acid or salicylic acids are used as a peeling agent .They are applied on the skin and left for few minutes and then washed off. After few days you may observe that your skin is gradually peeling off.If your pigmentation is superficial you may see some results.

In Bangalore there are many dermatologist who are doing chemical peels .But it would be better that you visit a skin department in a good hospital for your problem. St.Jhons Medical college,koramangala have good and competent dermatologist ,but I am not sure weather they have facilities for a peel or not.You can google your search for dermatologist who is doing a peel.

If you can reply me with the answers , I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow up: Dr. Bharat Chawda 29 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Chawda,

Thanks for detailed answer.

Below are answers for your questions. Hope these would help to eliminate some causes and give more insight.

Also these patches started once I started using two wheeler more while commuting during my engineering 10-12 years back and then stayed like that. These look more dark when I go out in sun.

No, I am not using any hair XXXXXXX

I started using cosmetics only 2 months back and since then there is improvement as patch is becmoing lighter. Below are the cosmetcis I am using:
VLCC Sunscreen lotion Matte Look SPF30 PA+++
VLCC Clear XXXXXXX Fruit Face Pack (cucumber)
VLCC Fade XXXXXXX Face Scrub (Orange Peel Oil)
VLCC Oris Root Face Wash

I am using cholesterol tablets only from one and half year and these patches exist from before. So these patches did not start after taking these tablets.

Please let me know if you need any more details and Thanks in advance for your answer.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 19 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply.

The possibility of Lichen planus pigmentosis(LPP) is more according to your answers .Even though the other condition cannot be ruled out so easily.You would probably need to undergo a skin biopsy for confirmation.The other possibility could be that it is just a XXXXXXX from excess sun exposure .

Sunscreen play a very important role in reducing the pigmentation and XXXXXXX from the face & that is the reason I guess you are showing improvement (after you have started using sunscreen).

Laser I would say would be a very good option if you can get one in Bangalore.You need to google your search for the same.

Vitamin A tablets are also prescribed in LPP ,but it is a prescription based drug and should only be taken after consulting a dermatologist .

To reduce the XXXXXXX you can use hydroquinone cream (2-3%) at night over face.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.