Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have hip problem. Noticed curving of spine inwards. Taking morphine and pregablin. Any ideas?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi I have noticed (as well as my mother) that my spine is curving inwards towards the base of my spine. I also have developed a tummy which I never had. I do have hip problems but now worried about my spine. Please help as don't think my G.P. will listen.

I do take morphine and pregablin daily.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query

From description it seems you might developed exaggerated lumbar lordosis.It might be due to your hip problem. Due to hip flexion deformity, exaggerated lumbar lordosis occurs to compensate the hip flexion deformity.

So this spine curvature is due to your hip problem. once your hip problem is corrected, this hyper lumbar lordosis goes off.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hip problem. Noticed curving of spine inwards. Taking morphine and pregablin. Any ideas? 15 hours later
Unfortunately I have had all the surgery I can on my hip (Zplasty, injections into the ball and socket joint) The Zplasty did reduce the amount of times my hip snaps out but did not reduce the pain. My consultant says I am too young for a hip replacement (38) and therefore it's a case of pain management.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 46 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again

Lordosis of the lower back may be treated by strengthening the hip extensors on the back of the thighs, and by stretching the hip flexors on the front of the thighs.You need a good physiotherapy for your hip and spine.So you can do these exercises under supervision of a physiotherapist or chiropractor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor