Have high cholesterol. Need a diet plan

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: Based on my health assessment need diet plan to control sugar and hyper cholestrolemia
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
Along with medication diet control plays an important role in controlling blood sugar level and high cholesterol. Steps you have to take care in diet and life style are:
1. Do regular exercise for about 45 minutes every day. Simple brisk walking at a speed of 5 km per hour is satisfactory.
2. Avoid all type of fatty, oily and sugary food products. Use olive oil for food in very limited dose.
3. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Also avoid cold drinks.
4. Use bakes food products as much as you can.
5. Make a diet chart as per your taste in terms of calories and do not exceed the total number of calories you have to consume every day. (you can measure amount of calories present in different food products by using internet)
6. Use multigrain atta and fat free rice.
7. Take multiple small doses instead of 3 large doses.
8. Use fat free milk like Packed milk of Nestle or Amul which are approx 99% fat free.
9. Use herbal XXXXXXX or lemon tea according to taste.
10. Lastly reduce your weight if you are overweight.

My last opinion is to first control your blood sugar and high lipid component by medications and follow your doctor advice. Once it is under control by medication you can try for reducing the dose of medicine but be sure that you do not reduce or stop the medication without your doctor advice.

Write for any follow up query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh