Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have hick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Noticed beard on right side of face growing quicker. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I am 60 years old with a thick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Suddenly, in the last 5-7 days, my beard on the right side of my face is growing quicker than the left. I noticed it first on the right side of my chin and now the whole side. I shave every day and the stubble on the right is much more noticable.. No changes in medication, diet or anything.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There can be some change in speed of hair growth from left and right side.
Also as far as disease is considered there is more possibility that left sided growth is decreased rather than increased growth on right side.In some conditions like diffuse alopecia areata hair growth is decreased on one side of face.
There is more chance that the growth difference is normal more than a result of disease process.
Also I would like to know-
Is the growth patchy or uniform?
Is there any visible/scaling/flaking?
Any itching?
Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
MD Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Noticed beard on right side of face growing quicker. What can be done? 53 minutes later
In answer to your questions, but first; you make a point, it could be that the right side is normal and the left is decreased growth. I will monitor more closely.
Your questions :
1. Uniform
2. No scaling or flaking
3. No itching
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later

Thanks for the details.

The nearest possibility in your case can be diffuse alopecia areata.

At this stage I do not recommend any active treatment. You should carefully observe the growth for few days. If the pattern of hair growth persists then examination by a specialist like dermatologist / trichologist would be needed.
I recommend only observation at this stage.There is nothing to be worried about.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor