Have headache and experiencing pressure while coughing. CT scan clear. Any thoughts?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: 55 year old woman, I had a bad headcold in sept. and noticed a bad pain on my right temple side when coughing. The cold went away but I still experience pressure when I cough weeks later. I am having a lot of sinus issues as well. My major concern is a sharp pulse like pain that comes and goes over my left temple.There is some pain behind my eye as well .The pain seems to be getting sharper. I don't have any pain while sleeping. I went to an ent and they did a sinus ct scan and said they saww nothing unusual. I do have headaches sometimes but this stabbing/pulsing pain attacks are getting me down.any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Most likely, it may not be anything serious. It could be a muscular pain, arising in the temporalis muscle, due to muscle tension.

However, in view of the location of pain and age more than 50, we need to exclude "temporal arteritis". A simple blood test- ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can help in that. ESR is elevated in temporal arteritis. If diagnosis is confirmed, it responds to treatment with a short course of steroids.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist