Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Have gall stone. No vomiting, diarrhea or pain. Should I go for gall bladder removal surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
I have been diagnosed with 1.55 MM gallstone during a regular health checkup. I have no symptoms like vomiting diarrhea,pain etc..should i go for gall bladder removal surgery?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Here are few facts that will clear your doubts

Gall stones up to 5 mm may easily pass through the common bile duct in to the duodenum[Small Intestine] as the upper limit of normal common bile duct on Ultrasound studies is 6 mm

Otherwise also solitary symptom less stones less than 5 mm and bigger than 1cm can be left alone

So you need not worry with your Gallstone but on a safer side go for a repeat ultrasound after 6 weeks or if symptoms appear

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor