Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

148 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have dry eye with vision power. How to cure this?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6011 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi i would like to join the indian army as an officer. My name is XXXXXXX 23 from india.
I have an eye condition with near sightedness of -3.25 both eyes. i also have a condition of dry eyes which has been there for almost 1 and half years.
I would like to know if i will be able to clear the medical examinations with these conditions?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Thanks for your query
For joining the Indian army, the limit of myopia is - 4.
With glasses, your eyesight should be normal.
Dry eyes would definitely be aggravated in army conditions, however, it is not a contra indication for joining the army unless the condition is severe and has led to some damage to the epithelium of the cornea.
The exact fitness regarding dry eyes would depend on the severity of the disease as assessed during your medical fitness.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Thank you for your reply Doctor.
I would also like to mention that i have this allergy which produces a kind of white ropy discharge. My eye doctor says its due to the dryness.
Again would this also be a condition for rejection in the medical examination?.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
What is the allergy to ?
If it is to dust particles, etc, then chances of that occurring in Armed forces is very high.
Also, it is a cause of rejection only if severe enough to have caused damage to the epithelium of cornea.
A thorough eye check up would make that clear.
Also, if the glasses prescribed for your myopia protect against exposure to the allergy too, then there should be no hindrance.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Keratoconus

doctor1 MD

I had an eye pain or not comfortable while viewing computer monitor. So i consulted an opthalmologist. Doctor advised to have corneal topography since my cylinderical numbers are shows i have keratoconos. May i know the treatment fot this

doctor1 MD

Hello sir, My daughter is 2 years and six months old and we took her for a eye check up today and the report is that she has -1 and -1.25 cylindrical number in both eyes at 175 and 180 axis Also it is written that her vision is 6/7.5 Is it normal...

doctor1 MD

I have a long history of Keratoconus . 4 failed transplants a K-pro implant (lasted 18 months then removed) and another graft. Along with 2 shunts for pressure. Eye is now blind and slowly shrinking and dying. I am wondering how long this process...

doctor1 MD

keratoconus?? My daughter is 2 years and 8 months and she kept looking occassionally out of the corner of her eye but over the past 3 months she now constantly looks out of the corner of her eye. She can move her eye in all directions as normal but she will look head on for 5 mins maximum and after that she will always look from the corner. The only time she looks head on is when watching tv and she is right up close to it. My gp has said this may be keratoconus but there is no bulging. She has been refferred to the eye hospital but i am awaiting an appointment. Do you think this is as my gp said or possibly something else? If so what can i do in the mean time??

doctor1 MD

hi, i was wondering on which effects a pregnancy can have on a patient with keratoconus? There are some theories about a mutation of the cornea due to hormones changes and i would like to know more about this. thank you in advance, marie. Im a 28 year old female. no medical history other than keratoconus diagnosis.

doctor1 MD

Hi am Alka 31 Year old. 2 Months back had C3R procedure done on both of my Eyes to treat keratoconus. Now we are planning to have a baby. Is it OK to plan now or if we have to wait when should we start planning? Appreciate your response to my query.

doctor1 MD

hi, i am 22 years old my height is 175 cm and weight 60 kgs. I am having jaundice due to acute hepatitis-A and it also caused hemolytic aneamia. My haemoglobin went down to 7.3 but now it has improved to 13.1. So, the anaemia is also improving. My billirubin value went upto 58.1, that was quite high actually, but now the billirubin count has decreased to 13.1. I was put on wysolone steriods with a starting dose of 100mg and now the dose is reduced gradually by 70 mg, 60 mg, 50 mg,40 mg,20 mg , 10 mg and 5 mg. I am feeling blurness in my eyesight, siince i was having keratoconus,which is a corneal defect in eye. Can you please suggest if this blurness is due to jaundice or due to the use of steroids. i was on steroids for 28 days and pls suggest if it will improve after my jaundice is gone or the steroids are stopped. Please help as i am really worried about my eyesight.