Have down syndrome. Using stieprox shampoo for alopecia. Alternative for graying hair?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 32 year old Down syndrome son has been using Stieprox Shampoo for over 10 years for alepecia.
His hair is currently more white than brown and it appears that he may start loosing his hair. Normally has gone from brown to white and then changed back to brown. Problem cannot find Stieprox Shampoo apparently do not make it any more. Can you suggest a replacement ??

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The most important cause for premature graying of hair is genetic or hereditary factors. Hair turn white due to lack of pigmentation and melanin. Other important causes are malnutrition and a diet deficient in vit B , smoking ,thyroid disease, stress and anxiety, unclean condition, drying it with an electric dryer and use of hair dyes.

If the cause if genetic then very little can be done for the hair that have already turned gray. But if the cause is dietary then taking healthy nutritious diet and some vitamin B supplements may help.
Hair loss like this is seen in many conditions like Systemic diseases, Poor Nutritional Status, Scalp infections like bacterial or fungal, Poor Care of Hair, Hormonal changes etc.
Proper investigations are needed to find out the cause and then to treat accordingly.
There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription.
The dermatologist or trichologist (hair expert) will take care of the prescription medicines that are required in this case after a proper examination.
Using Steiprox shampoo on a long term basis is not recommended.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.