Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Have discoloured hard bump on tibia. Feels warm to touch. Suggest some cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
Hello, I have a discolored hard bump/lump on my tibia. I noticed about two weeks now. In the beginning it felt warm to touch now not warm but still discolored but hard and solid. has increased in size a little about size of a nickle
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A hard lump on the tibia with overlying skin color changes is likely to be due to a hematoma in the area. Such swellings are usually self limiting and are mildly painful. In case there is no further increase in the size then doing a hot fomentation and taking mild pain killers will help in decreasing the swelling over 4-5 weeks.
You can self monitor the area for any redness, pain and sudden increase in the size which are indicators of infection in the area. In such a case a physician consultation is necessary for systemic antibiotics and to assess regarding the surgical drainage.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have discoloured hard bump on tibia. Feels warm to touch. Suggest some cure 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal

I just want to make sure you know its located on my tibia on my XXXXXXX area
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The swellings on the XXXXXXX are often more prominent as there is minimal soft tissue in the area. It is likely to be a hematoma. However an examination by a physician will be confirmatory.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor