Have diabetes type 2. Will it be cured by allopathic or ayurvedic medicine?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: Which is the best system of controlling diabetes type 2, allopathy or ayurvedic ?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later
Let me first know your blood sugar status both fasting & postprandial, Glycated Hemoglobin (HbA1c).
Blood sugar level (Both fasting & postprandial) must be in controlled range.
Allopathic medicines are better as these medicines have logical concept for control of blood sugar.
Few medicines like metformin (maximum dose 2500mg) & Pioglitazone (maximum dose 45 mg) are used for control of fasting blood sugar.
On the other hand, Sulfonylureas (Glimipride as you are taking, glipizide, glibenclamide), vildagliptins/ sitagliptins (DPP IV inhibitors), alpha glucosidase inhibitors are used for control of postprandial sugar.
Out of these, DPP IV inhibitors are newer medicines & a better option as these medicines inhibit the destruction of available insulin and insulin works for longer period.
As you have been diagnosed as chronic liver disease, then you should avoid metformin (Glisen PM1 contains metformin).
Although insulin is the drug of choice for diabetic patients with liver/ kidney involvement.
You are taking very less amount of Glimipride (1 mg) and the maximum dose is 8 mg.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should take proper treatment for preventing complications related with type II diabetes.
Your treating doctor will decide about the use of oral medicines or insulin.
Kindly put your query if you have.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava