Have dark spots above eyebrow. What could be causing this?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 30 year old Indian male and I have two dark, almost birthmark like, spots above my eyebrows.
I have been having them for the past 3-4 weeks and am not sure what the reason is and they seem to be getting darker and more visible.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 56 minutes later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

From your description, the spots could be the beginning of seborrheic keratosis.

Or the other possibility is that they are freckles or lentigenes.

The treatment for seborrheic keratosis would be getting them burnt off by your dermatologist. A radiofrequency machine is used for the same. The procedure is done after application of an anaesthetic cream.

Freckles and lentigenes may not completely resolve even with burning them off with a radiofrequency. They can recur.
usually freckles or lentigenes are left alone.

I would recommend you visit your dermatologist for the removal.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 4 hours later
Thanks, Dr. Kruti!

I did check the images online for the conditions you have mentioned but I am not sure they match what I am experiencing.

Mine appears more like a skin pigmentation problem, but am not sure. I have attached an image with the affected area circled out. Hope the image helps.

I will also definitely visit a dermatologist for further analysis.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for your reply, the image was useful.

You seem to have got hyperpigmentation of the skin which seems secondary to sun exposure.
also it could have aggravated if you rub your skin constantly.

I would recommend the application of hydroquinone 2% cream once at night on the affected areas.

Also application of sunscreen atleast thrice a day would be important.

The sunscreen can be of spf 30 or above.

In case you do scratch or rub your skin, it should be avoided.

The hydroquinone can be used for three weeks and then stopped.

This should help to resolve the pigmentation.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 16 hours later
Thanks a lot, Dr. Kruti! I will try the hydroquinone 2% cream and the sunscreen and see how it goes.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 52 minutes later
You are welcome.