Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

122 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have cyst on the side of face. Fluid comes out after popping. Could it be sebaceous cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have what i believe to be a sebaceous cyst on the right side of my face, where my jawbone ends. I've popped it underneath my skin, and at one time some clear fluid came out of it. There's still a grape-sized something in there, but squished. I first applied hot compresses to it, which caused it to come to a head somewhat, but not much. I'm afraid of extracting this myself and causing either facial hair loss or something worse. If I press on it too much, I've once noticed my pulse to speed up. I don't have health insurance. What do you suppose I do? Do you know how much it might cost?
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are suffering from can be sebaceous is a benign swelling of skin.
It is usually asymptomatic and pain can be present if there is infection.
It can be removed very easily by a dermatologist or surgeon as an office procedure.It is a minor procedure can be done in 15-30 minutes.
The cost varies from place to place and type of clinic.
It can be removed at home also but due to risk of infection, home removal is not advisable.
Its better to visit a dermatologist or surgeon which will confirm the diagnosis and will suggest appropriate treatment.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
MD dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist