Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Have chronic filaria. Suggested to use lymphatic press. Need second opinion

User rating for this question
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
My older sister (80 years old) suffers from chronic filaria on her left leg. A doctor suggested that we use Lymphatic press on the leg to reduce the size. Lymphatic press was useful but it seems to have increased the frequency of fever related to filaria. She normally takes a course of Hetrazan pills (diethylcarbamazine citrate tablets) three times a day for 21 days when she gets the filarial fever and then two tablets a week. I would like to consult a doctors specialising in filaria. Can you suggest a doctor.
We are living in Hyderabad, India.
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
thanks for writing in.
Taking into consideration your sister's age it would be advisable to resort to conservative measures as you are already doing. Hetrazan cover during the febrile episodes is a must.Externally antifungal powders will help prevent fungal infection. Continuous pressure by way of graduated pressure garments will also help.
The best specialist whom you can consult in your locality would be a plastic surgeon specialising in lymphedema management.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor