Have ascending aortic aneurysm. Can I have normal life if opt for stent placement?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: I am 60 and have an acending aortic aneurism(4.4).If I get a stent put in endoscopically,what are the odds that I can live a full normal life without ever having to have another surgical procedure for this? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 4 days later
Brief Answer: Surgery preferred option Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX Thanks for your query. Indeed, endovascular repair for aneurysms has become more widely available, but is susceptible to complications not seen with open surgery such as in stent restenosis, migration of the stent, erosions at the distal sites, etc. In general terms, if you are not deemed to be a high surgical risk candidate, then open repair is usually best as is more durable and allows surgeons to have better control of the area. If such complications arise, then I have seen patients undergoing a re-do procedure or attempting the open procedure. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology