Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have arthritis problem with swollen finger. Any effective treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Question: Hi
My query is regarding my mom whose age is 42yrs. Actually she is having arthritis problem from last 15yrs. She wouldnt be able mo mave her wrist properly. Her middle finger is also swelled due to this problem.
Now a days she is also having the problem of blood pressure due to which she is having regular pain. Kindly help me for providing a good medical treatment.

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your mother seems to be suffering from polyarthitis - the cause of this might be Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA), Infectious arthritis or crystal deposition arthritis.

To allow me to help you better, please let me know if she also has any of the following complaints:

- Pain and stiffness that last for more than an hour upon arising
- Bilateral symmetrical involvement of hands and feet joints
- Hand joints and feet joints that are warm and tender to touch
- History of viral illness like chikungunya.
- Flu-like feeling
- Finger and toe joints that "creak" when moved; this is called crepitus
- Deformities in finger and toe joints
- Fatigue that is not easily resolved
- Presence of facial rash and photosensitivity (light sensivity)
- Presence of raised patches or lesions of dead skin cells (psoriosis).

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

In the meanwhile I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.
Take diet XXXXXXX in Omega 3 fatty acid, complex carbohydrate, Vit-D &calcium, fruits and vegetables.
Take low fat diet.
Drink ample of water.
Watch weight.
Exercise regularly.
Have a positive attitude.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
No she dont have such problems. She only having problem of arthritis in which she is having regular joint pain in hands as well as sometimes swellowing also and by this she will not able to rotate her hands properly. And She is also having blood pressure problms...
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

Problem of arthritis which your mother is suffering seems to be related to wear and tear of cartilage (such as osteoarthritis).

Earlier and accurate diagnosis can help to prevent irreversible damage and disability. So I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician/Rheumatologist. She may get the certain blood, urine, joint fluid, and/or X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance. A proper and complete treatment can be planned accordingly.

Meanwhile follow advice given already in previous answer to fight with these pains.

I also suggest getting blood pressure problems evaluated by physician so that proper medicines can be prescribed to control it.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

If you do not have any further query, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and give review.

Wishing you good health....

Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  X ray

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am writing on behalf of a friend. He had been diagnosed with having IBS when he was 13, without a colonoscopy, and now he is 25. He has been having abdominal pain and interchanges of diarrhea and constipation all these years but a month ago it suddenly got really worse (after having some fish, but even if it was bad, he had never experienced such excruciating pain again), as in one day he started to ache so much he couldn't get up off the floor. It was like stabbing and ripping him apart. He went to the hospital and had blood work done and an X-ray and they said it was normal but suggested a colonoscopy but he didn't go through with it. Ever since he has been having really severe abdominal pain and interchanges of diarrhea and constipation and he has been to several doctors, one prescribing him with amitriptyline and antibiotics for the intestine, and another after that giving him mebeverine hydrochloride alone. He took the antibiotics and amitriptyline for almost a month and it helped him a bit but in the evening he would none the less have the return of the severe pain in his entire abdomen, sometimes centering on the left upper side of it. Then he went to the other doctor who perscribed mebeverine hydrochloride, telling him it would instantly help, without that being the case when he tried it. He had extensive blood work done and everything was normal, no inflammation or anemia, and the doctor said he didn't need anything else and should just take the mebeverine. But he is still in pain and i was wondering if it could be something else with these symptoms. Should he have a colonoscopy or some other less painful test? He also has Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.

doctor1 MD

Yes, I have a 13 yr old that has been vomiting and has had constipated/diarrhea for a month now. She has been seen by her physician and was prescribed Prilosec and miralax. She appears to be full of stool ( according to her x-ray). She is still having dull stabbing pain in her stomach and is still vomiting daily. She expresses vomiting is not always with nausea. I hope she will not need an endoscopy. I am wondering if it s GERD or IBS. Thanks for your response.

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr, I am 30 years Male. I had productive cough in morning for last 2 months and I was suffering from sinusitis also. The sputum was green. Now the cough is gone and only sinusitis remains, no that much sputum. I done a chest x-ray last week which came normal. However doctor told a elevation in Diaphragm and enlagement of heart. What will be the reason of this?. Active Pulmonoray TB not there, but will it be Miliary TB symptom or Amoebic Liver Abscess or anything else?? Please advice me for the next step

doctor1 MD

Hi there. I am a 35 year old female 5'7 155 lbs with a 7 month old baby delivered by cesarean. I have had shortness of breath that worsens with physical exertion since the last month of my pregnancy but am otherwise in good health. The last 2 months it has been getting progressively worse to the point where I have to catch my breath sometimes in conversation. I am taking domperidone to increase my breastmilk production and have been for 2 months. I have been to the ER where I have had an ECG, ct scan, x-ray and bloodwork, as well as a pulmonary function test. All results were within normal ranges except my oxygen levels in my blood were low - however the test was taken peripherally, not through a central line. Also, my resting heart rate was 118, and when I did a stress test, within 2 minutes my heart rate was at 200. They are sending me for an echocardiogram next. Do you think this could be adult onset asthma or a reaction to domperidone or is it my heart?

doctor1 MD

I am having a frozen left shoulder kind of symptoms for last couple of months. My left shoulder doesnt rotate as smoothly as the right one. My second problem is I have constipation atleast few days a month and suffer from piles as a consequence

doctor1 MD

I have very shortness of breath will divan help this ?

doctor1 MD

I have to urinate often ..... if I stand up from sitting position or sleep position. And I empty out every time. My family Dr. thinks my bladder has fallen and there by impairing the normal muscle function that holds the urine until some normal...