Have arthritis problem with swollen finger. Any effective treatment?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Question: Hi
My query is regarding my mom whose age is 42yrs. Actually she is having arthritis problem from last 15yrs. She wouldnt be able mo mave her wrist properly. Her middle finger is also swelled due to this problem.
Now a days she is also having the problem of blood pressure due to which she is having regular pain. Kindly help me for providing a good medical treatment.

Best Regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later

Your mother seems to be suffering from polyarthitis - the cause of this might be Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA), Infectious arthritis or crystal deposition arthritis.

To allow me to help you better, please let me know if she also has any of the following complaints:

- Pain and stiffness that last for more than an hour upon arising
- Bilateral symmetrical involvement of hands and feet joints
- Hand joints and feet joints that are warm and tender to touch
- History of viral illness like chikungunya.
- Flu-like feeling
- Finger and toe joints that "creak" when moved; this is called crepitus
- Deformities in finger and toe joints
- Fatigue that is not easily resolved
- Presence of facial rash and photosensitivity (light sensivity)
- Presence of raised patches or lesions of dead skin cells (psoriosis).

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

In the meanwhile I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.
Take diet XXXXXXX in Omega 3 fatty acid, complex carbohydrate, Vit-D &calcium, fruits and vegetables.
Take low fat diet.
Drink ample of water.
Watch weight.
Exercise regularly.
Have a positive attitude.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
No she dont have such problems. She only having problem of arthritis in which she is having regular joint pain in hands as well as sometimes swellowing also and by this she will not able to rotate her hands properly. And She is also having blood pressure problms...
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

Problem of arthritis which your mother is suffering seems to be related to wear and tear of cartilage (such as osteoarthritis).

Earlier and accurate diagnosis can help to prevent irreversible damage and disability. So I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician/Rheumatologist. She may get the certain blood, urine, joint fluid, and/or X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance. A proper and complete treatment can be planned accordingly.

Meanwhile follow advice given already in previous answer to fight with these pains.

I also suggest getting blood pressure problems evaluated by physician so that proper medicines can be prescribed to control it.

If you do not have any further query, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and give review.

Wishing you good health....

Dr Saurabh Gupta.