Have arthritis in back and knee, torn medial meniscus and injured collateral ligament. Suggestion

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi! I just found out today that I have torn medial meniscus, injury to my collateral
Ligament inner of the knee. With a spur. Also have spurs of the L4. I have arthritis
In both my back and knee. What do my future look like? I'm 39 years old
And work a physically demanding job. Which has been very painfully to do.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I can understand your problem. Before proceding further, Iwould like to know the duration of injury to collateral ligament and torn meniscal and also the grade of these tears if MRI was already done.

Let me know these, so that I can help you in better way.

Wating your reply...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
The pain in my knee has been going on for a year and one month.
I thought it would get better on its own. Only got worse.
It's a grade 3. I didn't not go to the doctor until the other day then she
Sent me for the MRI. Thank you for your advise
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 13 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Grade 3 medial collateral ligament tear may take 6 weeks or longer to heal and a knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort.
Grade 3 meniscus tears usually require surgery.

As you have a physically demanding job, I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon.You may need arthroscopic surgery.

Hope this information helps you.I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.