Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Have PCOD. Trying to lose weight. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1660 Questions
I am 25,5.3' height,85 kg..geting maried in 6 months..have PCOD disorder.

Diet plans and exercise is not having results as expected.And as i work in shifts it not regular as well.

Please guide me how to reduc emy weight.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Based on your height and weight, your body mass index, or BMI indicates that you are overweight, but you already know this. The reason that this is important is that it is related to PCOD. PCOD is a syndrome that is related to a pre-diabetic state with the key factor often being insulin resistance. Weight loss can be very difficult, especially if this insulin resistance is a factor. It also leads to very irregular cycles, fertility problems, and higher risks during pregnancy. So I agree, your goal to lose weight is a noble goal that you CAN achieve. Here are some ideas:

1. You need screening for diabetes / insulin resistance - if this is present, you might benefit in terms of cycle regulation and weight loss with the addition of an oral diabetes medication
2. Restriction of calories is critical - perhaps even more important that exercise. One way to take an honest look at how you are doing is to track calories using an APP on your phone. Here are two to check out: LoseIt, and Fooducate.
3. Continue daily exercise - even just vigorous walking 30 minutes per day
4. Ask you doctor about seeing a Nutritionist to help assess your diet
5. You must be patient - it will be very difficult to reach your ideal body weight before your wedding, but perhaps it is possible before future attempts at conception.

I hope this helps. I have done the best that I can to give you anything to work with - please ask if you have more questions. - DR XXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor