Have MS, on a electric wheelchair. Taking medicine. Why do i have thick and sticky substance on throat?

Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: First off, I have MS, I’m disabled, I can walk short distances but I am in an electric wheelchair, I take 15 or so prescription meds daily, have dry mouth, drink massive liquids through out the day. My problem, I have a thick, sticky, substance in my mouth. When I look in there I can't see anything but I can feel it with my tongue, some of it turns hard as a rock with sharp edges. There is also some that is like tape, it shows up over the entire surface of my lower teeth, both sides. I can roll it in to a ball with my tongue, but it is longer than hell! I have found this same tape like substance down below the surface, between my cheek and gum, the stuff there has very sharp things on it? That stuff hurts, which is what leads me to it. My tongue is sore, feels like it is burnt from hot coffee. Feels like Thrush, I have had Thrush in the past but never this goop along with it. This is going to sound strange, but I can feel round stringy stuff under the surface of my gums, some very hard like a bone spur, I had my last bottom, molar taken out by an oral surgeon a month ago, and have had a few bone spurs from it. When I push on them with my tongue I can get them to break through the surface skin, then they eventually turn in to the same thick stuff already in my mouth. I did several warm salt water flushes last night to no avail. I have rinsed with biotene PBF several times too, feels like some small particles come out with that, but nothing big enough to even tell anything is gone. Have also rinsed with “Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse” to no avail as well. However, that does take away any tongue pain for a little while. Forgot to mention, this started after trying to remove what felt like another bone spur in the back of my mouth, between the cheek and gum. It swelled up, got real sore, but the swelling has since gone down, and now after the swelling went down this thick crap started. Really strange, but I can't feel it with my finger, but if I push on where I think it is with my finger, I can smear it around? I can roll it up in to balls with my tongue, but can’t get rid of it? Sounds like I have lost it, I know, but this the reality of this situation! I had this happen once before, coincidentally I had an abscess tooth, went to the dentist, and she sent me to an oral surgeon to have it pulled (the third of my lower back molars), but I was severely dehydrated then, I got a unit of saline infused and it went away immediately. I am not dehydrated this time. Teeth are all going to hell, all four of my bottom molars have been pulled. Whatever it is, it is driving me nuts! I move it around with my tongue every waking minute! One more thing, I have the beginning of a cold sore just below my lip. It has barely broken the skin, but is still very painful. I have been putting “Abreva” on it for the last two days which is working. I am a smoker, under a pack a day. Enough? Oh, is this going to cost me anything? I live off Social Security and that’s why I haven’t called the dentist or oral surgeon, I have to pay both 100%, out of my empty pockets. I can’t afford it right now. Thx, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern and I shall try to provide you with useful information based on the details provided.

Well the white rolling thick and hard stuff coated to the teeth and gums seems like hard deposits known as calculus to me. It is a common condition we see in our office. It is usually caused by lack of healthy oral hygiene and smoking.

Apart from the calculus poor oral hygiene and smoking can lead to so many problems like-
1. Plaque & calculus.
2. Gum and other tooth supporting tissues destruction.
3. Bleeding gums.
4. Bad breath.
5. Caries.
6. Pain and swelling in gums.
7. Loosening of teeth.
8. Smoker's palate
9. Coated tongue
10. Oral thrush
11. Reduced ability to taste and smell
12. Oral precancers and cancers.
A thorough dental examination is needed to know if any of the following is associated with your problem.

Though the calculus plaque is not a sinister problem, it would be difficult to remove / treat it without scaling. Therefore if these plaques are bothering you, I would suggest you to consider visiting a nearby dentist. In the interim maintain good oral hygiene and quit smoking.

Hope this answered your query, if you have further any doubt feel free to ask.

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad