Have Ankylosing spondylitis. Took anti-inflammatory drugs including methotrexate. Prescribed humaira. Suffer constant pain. Suggest?

Posted on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am looking for a doctor who specializes in Ankylosing spondylitis. I have suffered with this disease since I was 19 with no remission. I am now 51. the anti-inflammatory drugs have never really work and i have been through most of them including the methotrexate route. I have been on the enbrel for about 13 years and while that did more than anthing, it is not quite working as it use to. I moved on to the Humaria, but I get a really bad reaction from that. My doctor does not really seem to understand the disease as she has prescribed the humaira, anti-inflammatory drug and 3 muscle relaxers a day. I am in constant pain and my muscles are very rigid, but I cannot function on 3 muscle relaxers a day. I have started massage therapy which is helping some, but I would love to find a doctor who was progressive and understood the disease a bit better. I feel like it is out of control again and I cannot stop it.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Main stay recommendation is physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis, but treatments can decrease your pain and lessen your symptoms.

The drugs enbrel and humaria are biologics and have shown to decrease the pace of the disease. As you get bad reaction to humaria, ask your doctor to switch on another biological drug.

But the main stay recommendation for ankylosing spondylitis is exercise. Physiotherapy combined with swimming, stretching, yoga etc. are used in conjunction with medical treatment. So dont stop exercising.

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness.
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Etanercept

doctor1 MD

I have been on nexplanon the birth control implant for almost a year now. I stopped getting my period three months into having it. Recently I have...

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. I have been on enbrel (50 mg) a week for the past 3 months. My doctor is recommending i carry on taking...

doctor1 MD

I had a double bypass in 2001. For the last few days I have had a very uneasy shaky feeling inside, sort of like when your sugar level drops low,...

doctor1 MD

My heart has been racing for the past few nights when i lay down this has never happened before.I am on a new medicine for my psoriasis/ psoriatic...

doctor1 MD

I have ankylosing spondilis and have been on Remicade , I since developed an allergy to it, the last allergy attack resulted in shock . Is there...

doctor1 MD

Do you know of any possible drug interaction with Tacrolimus ointment at .1% and enbrel causing neutropenia

doctor1 MD

my husband has suffered massive stroke and was in the hospital but the neurologist said he was not a candidate for tpa as there was a large clot in...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

157 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction