Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Has Polycystic Kidney Disease. Have lower back pain. Prescribed Medrol. Continue medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 118 Questions
My Brother has a Polycystic Kidney Disease and form the last one month he has pain in his lower back and Dr. suggested him to took Medrol for 4 days after taking the medicine he is getting relief in his pain but as the 4 days over he is again getting pain in on the 5th day. so can we continue to this medicine as he is having kidney problem ?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
In polycystic kidney, pain can occur due to many reasons - a stone, a bleed in a cyst, infection.

Medrol is a steroid, and will reduce pain by reducing inflammation. But if the cause is an infection it may worsen later. It is not a good idea to continue medrol, without investigating the cause of his pain.

He needs an ultrasound, if that is inconclusive and pain persists he may need a CT.

Also get a Urine examination and culture to rule out an infection.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor