Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Reddish spot in urethra with burning sensation. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend few days ago and now I have a red swelling redish spot in my urethra only on one side of the urethra opening. Can you tell me what could that be? It is hard for me to pee sometimes and a little bit of burning sensation.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not serious for now. Be calm.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be important to know if this is the first time you are experiencing this or not. Knowing exactly how many days you started feeling uncomfortable is important, as well as knowing if she has complained of any urinary or vaginal concerns lately.

A reddish spot for sure implies there is an inflammatory or traumatic response. Knowing how the spot developed, either you noticed it suddenly, or it grows progressively is important. If you just noticed it and it is same in size, it possible that should be an infection, but simply a mild traumatic wound, due to sexual intercourse. If your partner is not complaining, and you have never had this in the past, with wound having same size, it is probable that this should be of trauma, may be due to sexual intercourse. A traumatic wound when urine touches it shall be inflamed, and its therefore normal to feel pain under these circumstances. What you describe in my opinion is very much less likely to be an infection.

If your partner has not complained, and this is the first time you are experiencing this, with no history of discharge from the urethra, you need not be bothered. Taking simple analgesics for pain, and washing the area properly with antiseptics and putting on cotton pants, I suggest it should be off within a few days. Local vase,line on the area could help.

In case you start experiencing severe pain on urinating, discharge, your partner starts complaining, these could be signals of a sexually transmitted disease.

As of now, I suggest you stay calm, watch, clean the area, apply vaseline, keep it dry and wear cotton pants. I do not think it is an infection or something that very serious.

Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking further questions in case you got specific concerns. I would be honored to contribute to your well being.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Reddish spot in urethra with burning sensation. What could this be? 26 minutes later
Yes, this is my first time. I do not have any history. I have attached a photo of the reddish bump in my urethra. It was reddish just now bit it turned as if ulcer looking bump right now. I noticed it a few hours ago. My girlfriend did complaint that she has yeast infection few days ago due to the contraceptive pills (diane35) that she took only for one month half. So she stopped taking those pills hoping the yeast would stop. Lately she hasn't been complaining bout any sore, redness, pain or ulcers on her. What can u tell me from the attached image i sent to you?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You might have to consult your primary health care

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks for the image. I see an image with an inflammatory lesion, and would suggest a more in depth evaluation now. I would suggest urine examination, urine analysis and a culture and sensitivity tests. This shall be useful in identifying any bacteria or fungi if present, and also the possible drugs that could act against these causing organisms.

Getting a urethral swab, doing a direct examination and a culture of the urethral wound is important.

It is still however possible that this could simply be a wound and not an infection. But to be cautious, and considering the facts you presented concerning your partner, I suggest we should be more cautious not to miss a possible infection.

Continue using antiseptics, keeping the area dry and using cotton pants as the investigations proceed.

I think you will have to urgently consult your primary physician. Please feel free asking further questions in case you have specific concerns. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor