Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had unprotected sex. Noticed tingling sensation while peeing. What could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
I had unprotected sex 4 days ago and then 2 days later I noticed that when I went pee I had a slight tingling sensation, not burning at all, and started to bleed a little bit (I thought I was starting my period). So I put a tampon in and when I took it out to change it, it was clean with no blood. I am not experiencing any pain at all and there is a odd slight odor but my urine isn't cloudy or anything. What could this be?
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello I would be happy to help your with your question.

The most likely explanation for you symptoms is a bladder infection. This could easily be checked with a test of your urine by your OB/GYN. A bladder infection can be associated with a small amount of blood in the urine, and your risk factor for getting an infection is recent intercourse.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Noticed tingling sensation while peeing. What could be causing this? 48 minutes later
That is what I thought it was (a bladder infection) although there wasn't blood in my urine, it was more as if I were starting to menstruate (but I only bled when I was to use the restroom). Could that still be a bladder infection?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thanks for the followup.

Yes it could still be a bladder infection. Also, the bleeding might be a little confusing in terms of where it actually came from. I still think it could be related to your urinary tract symptoms.

In addition, it might be a good idea to check a pregnancy test!

Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor