Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Had surgery for a deviated septum. Felt hard lump outside nose. No pain or discomfort. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2545 Questions
I have two hard solid lumps on the outside of my nose. No pain or discomfort. The first is at the end of my nostril and is noticeable in the attached pictures. The second lump is smalled and on the RHS in the picture half way up the nose. Looks slightly larger on one side. The lumps have been there for several years and do not appear to be growing in size, at least at a noticeable rate and I can only feel it on the outside and not the inside. My nostril is also more closed in on one side. I did have surgery for a deviated septum about 8 years ago. What could this be, how concerned should I be and do I need to see a specialist to get this examined?

Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The lumps seem to be due to normal nasal cartilage showing through the nasal skin.

2. The only was to ascertain this is to go through the detailed operative notes of your nasal surgery 8 years ago or to get a plain CT Scan done.

3. The images are nor very clear and hence I would also recommend a direct examination and palpation. If these are normal, and if you have no other symptoms, no treatment is necessary.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor