Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Had sex with a hiv positive partner. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
I submitted a question and received an response. I indicated that that I had sex with a hiv positive male who informed me two days later of his status. The incident occured on Feb 6 and I tested negative on the 15, 24th and March 8. I have been asked to return for further testing on April 8. I also indicated that after the first episode, I became hard again and re-entered without removing the condom. The first doctor indicated that it was still possible for the virus to transmit. My question now is that it would have to be through a small cut, bruise or the uretha of the penis right?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
You are correct in saying that it should enter through small cut or wound, but during sexual intercourse there are micro trauma which you can not see but virus can enter through it.
However, the important thing is that you have not removed condom, this might protect you.
Its more than a month since you had sex, you might have got an elisa test done for hiv, but this test may take 6 months or even more than that to become positive.

I recommend you to get a P24 or PCR done for hiv. these tests are positive within a week and are almost 100 % sensitive.

Even a single virus in your body can be detected by PCR.

If this test comes negative, you can be sure that you are safe.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor