Had oral sex with unknown person. Noticed sensitive skin on face with anxiety attack. Serious?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: In point form: i dont know if this is all related. im quite healthy 53 yr old male. I have no issues. I FEEL well. 3 months ago i notice the right side of my face was very touch sensitive, even annoyed by a the slightest touch of a tissue. no pain, just annoying. r/s jaw, cheak and temple. lasted about 1 week and faded. never returned. right after that i notice my mouth was dry, all the time. its not super dry, but feels dry. i have a moist mouth and if i think of food it waters (a little). but the saliva i do have is white and frothy. my throat is fine, not sore and not dry. i also notice post nasal drip which is mild but there . not sure if thats been there all the time ? only noticed it all together. all like this 3 months now. this all started after i RECEIVED oral sex from a girl, and 1 week later had itchy red foreskin. no other symptoms. i read that this was likely yeast infection. i used canastin (OTC) and it went away quickly. it came back 3 weeks later, i used cream again and it went again. all this has happened in last 3 mnths. my mouth is still dry. my lips are dry but no cracked, and look ok. no mouth sores, no issues. finally, in the first 3 weeks of all this i was biting my tongue in bed, id wake with sore side of tongue, either side and i woke up noticing that i was actually gently biting it. that stopped after about 2 weeks or so. I TEND TO BE A REAL WORRIER, i have had anxiety attacks throughout my life with no ill effects. i am worried about this all starting with the face and yeast thing. worried since. dont know if this is all related. I hate doctors....sorry... i mean more going to the dr. my wife passed away 3 years ago and i am scared of seeing a dr. i have 2 small kids. again, i feel fully well in every way. i dont feel anxious. but i constantly dwell on this dry mouth thing EVERY MINUTE and ive read horrible things about it.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
I can understand what you are going through.

The problem of dry mouth and ulcers over tongue will not be most probably because of the oral sex that you had. Probably it could be because of the sensitivity reaction to the Canastin that you took later on.

The reaction has caused drying of oral mucosa and also ulceration. Any reaction takes time to heal and you should avoid contact with Canstin from now on. Some anti-histaminics might help you. Initially it may increase the dryness but later you will benefit from it. Lozenges can help in solving the problem symptomatically.

Secondly you have some anxiety issues and such development of strange symptoms will surely bother you more than what it should. Have patience and keep faith. This problem should resolve by self. If not you can visit a dentist/ENT specialist who can advise on some drugs after examining your mouth.
As far as your anxiety is concerned, I am sure you are taking treatment for it. If not, do start taking treatment as it will definitely help in improving your life. There are plenty of safe anti-anxiety drugs available (SSRIs). Also cognitive behavioral therapy will also help.

Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
I would like to help, if you need any further clarifications.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
im not sure i understand the connection between canastin anti yeast cream and oral ulcers ? it was a cream applied to the foreskin directly rather than a pill. the dry mouth is the main issue, still have it after 3 months. i have no ulcers in my mouth. i did have sores on my tongue for 2 weeks which i know was from me biting it in the night, as i would often wake fully alert to find myself squeezing my tongue against my closed teeth. i think that was anxiety.
so unless there is anything else i will give it time and calm down and hopefully the dry mouth will fix itself. i read about sjogrens syndrome and was worried.
if this sounds ok then, thx for your advice. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Sorry XXXXXXX for misunderstanding your query. I misinterpreted the statement " i used canastin (OTC) and it went away quickly" for a oral formulation of clotrimazole which is the actual content of Canastin.
Regarding you concern about sjogrens symdrome (Sicca syndrome) the fact that only 1 in 10 cases are males and it is not a illness transmitted sexually will comfort you. Mostly it could be some sort of reaction to some kind of food that you had taken.
It may not be related to the sexual act anywhere.
It should get better with time. Lozenges can help in soothing the mouth mucosa and you can have plenty of water. If the condition persists then in that case you then have to run a battery of immunological tests for autoimmune disorders.
Regarding you tongue bite, it may not be a anxiety symptom. You should check your dentition if the shape of the dentition may not be proper. Such biting also occurs if you have anal itching by pin worms at night. If the tongue bite doesnt repeat then in that case you should not bother, but if it repeats you should take a dental consultation.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If so, you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan