Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Had oral sex with prostitute, developed sore in mouth. Had ANUG and Trench mouth. Could it be related to HIV ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions

I had sex with a prostitute. I used condom but I kissed her deeply(French Kiss). weeks later I found out that there is a sore in my mouth when I went to dentist!

after five weeks, I had Angina XXXXXXX or ANUG (Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis) or Trench Mouth. I solved the problem but after surfing on net, I realized that there could be relation between HIV and ANUG. Please tell me what is the relation between them? this has really scared me. Some websites mentioned ANUG as a symptom of HIV :(((
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Had oral sex with prostitute, developed sore in mouth. Had ANUG and Trench mouth. Could it be related to HIV ? 2 minutes later
I also should add I had fever those days and I cured trench mouth with penicillin!
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 23 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern.

It is true that acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis is strongly associated with HIV-AIDS. However, since you used a condom, it is unlikely that you are HIV positive. HIV AIDS does not get transmitted by kissing unless there are active lesions ( ulcers) in your mouth or the lady’s mouth.

I would suggest you get yourself tested for HIV using an ELISA. This needs to be done 6 weeks after exposure. If negative, repeat the test at 3 months and 6 months to confirm this. Since HIV has a certain window period ( that means it takes time for the antibodies to form), that is why I think you would have to wait another week before getting tested.

I hope that addresses your concern. I would be available for follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor