Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the chances of having UTI?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14972 Questions

I've never had any health issues, but last week (after intercourse with my husband; we've been married 3 years now), I woke up with a burning/itching sensation when I urinated. I waited, and it's been about 6 days now, and it's only becoming more irritated. I had intercourse again (last night) and woke up to more pain than before. I believe I have a urinary tract infection, as there is no odor or any type of discharge (except normal clear) coming from the vagina. I also can see no swelling or redness anywhere around it. The intercourse was not painful, so I'm fairy positive the problem lies with my urinary tract/kidneys. My urine has been a little darker than normal, and I have found a slight amount of blood once or twice. Is it possible to get an RX without having to go to a doctor's office?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
hi, welcome to health care magic.

Sexually active women commonly experience urinary tract infection because the most common causative bacteria ( E coli) is in the anal region and becomes translanted into the genital region during intercourse.

They can be avoided by urinating before and after intercourse ( no urine to get infected), drink water regularly and after sex, don't hold your urine, don't use douches, take showers rather than tub baths.

Cranberry juice can be used to prevent urinary tract infections and is sometimes effective if taken in copious amounts in the early stages of an infection. It stops E coli from sticking to the walls of the bladder.

In terms of antibiotic treatment, most antibiotics would need to be prescribed by a doctor.

You can drink alot of water and cranberry juice however you may need to consider visiting your doctor for a prescription. I am sorry this forum is not meant for prescribing medicine. Your local pharmacy would not agree for drug dispensing.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor