Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Had hiatus hernia surgery. Treated with antibiotics for infection in stomach. Fluids coming out from incision. Worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1827 Questions
Hi - my mom just had a hiatus hernia surgery on sept 9. She felt ok for about a week after it but in the last 2 weeks they found an infection in the stomach and have been treating it with antibiotics. She's also had 2 blood transfusions and now there is fluid coming out of her original incision in her stomach. The fluids seem to been what ever she has drank( the last one was coffee) or eaten which makes us think there is a hole somewhere in the stomach. she's not on solid foods. For this problem they have done a ct scan with no indications of a stomach leak and now did a gastro x-Ray with no negative results. They are now wanting to do another ct scan. We are looking for any other suggestions now as this has been going on now( fluids leaking out her incision ) for almost 2 weeks and her health is going down. The doctors not giving us much info and is hard to get any answers from him we are getting worried! Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:

I am very sorry to hear about your mother's health issues.

You have mentioned that CT scan of the abdomen and xrays ( probably a barium contrast xray) did not reveal anything. You have mentioned about infection and fluid leaking.

The probable cause is surgical wound /anastamotic site infection.

Culture sensitivity test may be done to know what organism is causing the infection and the antibiotic to which it is sensitive. A course of this antibiotic may provide relief.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor