Had fracture in wrist. Having pain. Having Osgood-Schlatters disease in knees. Is the pain from stretching the area?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 16 year old daughter fractured her growth plate in her wrist about 2-3 years ago. She had a bit of a knock to her same wrist a couple of weeks ago and is having quite a bit of pain in it. It's an achy, sharp pain making it difficult to grip things. It does appear to be somewhat swollen. She does already have a growing disorder, Osgood-Schlatters Disease, in her knees, so I don't know if this, combined with a previous fracture to her wrist could cause a problem, during a growth spurt. She is fairly tall at 5'9 and still growing. Could a growth spurt with a slight knock cause either the growth plate to re-fracture, or would it just be pain from stretching that area?
thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Re-fracture is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX:

Re-fracture of one of the wrist bones is quite possible. it might be not the growth plate this time as she is over 15 years old.
Osgood-Schlatter disease unlikely to be related to her current wrist problem.

I will recommend x-ray of the wrist to role out fracture,
If no fracture then she needs analgesia and gradual increase range of movements in the wrist.

wish her speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T