Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Had electricity shooting pain in chest going to jaw and was unable to talk. Suggest?

Dec 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 4791 Questions
I had a VERY painful it felt like electricity shooting in my chest going up towards my jaw and all in my chest I was so shocked by the surprise of it I couldn't even talk then I had 5 or 6 not bad in he nxt 2 days then spasums in chest then it went away
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Should be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have developed shooting pain in chest that referred to jaw. It was associated with inability to talk for some time.

I have understood your problem. See you are 55 and such type of symptoms can occur due to a number of reasons

-First thing that should come in mind is angina or some cardiac problem. Pain in chest referred to jaw may occur due to angina. I would advise you to get ECG and lipid profile done. If ECG comes normal then we can proceed to next step.

-Such presentation is also common in gastric problem. Acute gastritis may present with pain in chest but in most cases history of acidity is there.

-Hit flushes is other differential diagnosis. These are common in pre and peri menopausal women. Symptoms like chest pain, palpitations, burning feet, insomnia etc are common. I want to know if you are having such symptoms?

- Other common possibility is anxiety disorder. Chest pain, breathlessness, tremors, sweating etc symptoms are seen. You have mentioned that you are having thyroid abnormalatiy and low thyroid hormone supplements may cause chest pain, so repeat your thyroid function tests to know present status.

I would advise you to consult a physician for proper evaluation of chest pain, and if everything come normal then consult a psychiatrist to rule out anxiety (non specific) and hot flushes.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor