Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Had done test for adenoma. What are the findings?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
My brother got his test done and below is the report.
Pls explain what is the meaning, we are worried, somebody told us that these may be cancer symptoms.

Macroscopic examination : Mucoid aspirate
Microscopic examination: Aspirate reveals few inflammatory cells comprising of polymorphs and lymphocytes in a myxoid background; few macrophages also seen

Comments: Findings are suggestive of cystic of ? cystic change in recurrent pleomorphic adenoma ? parotid cyst; Kindly correlate clinically.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cancerous lump. Benign tumor of the parotid.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your brother's problem. Your brother might have parotid surgery for a benign tumor (not cancer) in the past and the same condition has recurred now. This condition is known as pleomorphic adenoma and is a very common benign (not cancerous) tumor of the parotid gland which tends to recur after surgery.
The FNAC report is suggestive of the same.
My advise to you would be to XXXXXXX a good head and neck surgeon and have this tumor removed completely. It is better that you go to a surgeon experienced in this surgery so that the condition does not occur again and also the facial nerve is saved during surgery.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had done test for adenoma. What are the findings? 23 minutes later
Dear Dr Khandelwal,

Thanks a lot for your detailed and positive reply.
Pls suggest some specialist surgeon in bangalore or dehradun who can remove tumor completely.

Thanks & Regards

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 13 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not aware of surgeons in dehradun but Dr. Moni kurkiose at mazumdar XXXXXXX cancer center in Bangalore is a renowned head and neck surgeon and you can contact him.

Hoping for the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor