Can polyps be removed repeatedly if it regrows?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I just had a benign tubulovillous adenoma (over 1 cm ) in my rectum removed.It was recommended that I get another colonoscopy in a year.How much do i need to worry about this.The doctor said after the colonoscopy 'You're fine the polyps are benign .You will be ok" but now I amreading about this type of polyp and people having a benign tubulovillous adenoma removed but that it grew back and either became cancer or they had that part of their colon removed so as not to chance cancer.Do they really know if they got all the tubulovillous adenoma or are they just hoping and I have a bad spot in my rectum that could become cancerous?Can they keep just going back and removing the polyp if it regrows(or if i get a tubulovillous adenoma in a different spot) or is it likely to become cancer and they will have to decide on more drastic measures even if cancer isn't present at that time?And is it worse that it was in my rectum than my colon?It seems with your colon they can remove part of it but with your rectum I would think it would have to be completely removed.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not et cancer!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

They are just a type of polyp in the colon. The only difference is that these polyps have a higher potential to become cancerous. With a follow up colonoscopy in a year, if anything abnormal is going to, it will be detected and managed aggressively. Remember it takes at least 10years for cancer to become full blown and constitute a problem. I will recommend that you stay calm knowing that nothing bad can effectively grown out of hands with a year.

The follow up exam will tell us for sure what is happening and what must be done. The exact nature of surgery, is ever needed is much determined based on the size of the tumor and its distance from the anal opening. No single factor can dictate what surgery type is best indicated.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
So is this almost like having cancer?What am i looking at here as far as risk? Am i close to having my rectum removed?Do I have to be on pins and needles about this from year to year from now on?
What would happen if they did find some but not much regrowth in a year?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
It its not cancer!

Detailed Answer:

This is not cancer. If it were cancer, it would be managed right away. It is tissue that seems suspicious and in other cases progresses to cancer but that is not the case at this time.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad