Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had cold. Experiencing pain on chest, muscle spasms and breathing difficulty. Cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I am a kickboxer, I got cold at a party 3 months ago and 2 days later my left torso damaged as I lifted my arm in the shower, within 5 mins my upper body spasmed and I laced in bed totally rigid in agony, doctors came put me on a Valium drip and have me muscle relaxants, no exercise for 2 weeks.
Normally I train 3 times a week but this week I trained four days conseq and the last session was 12 rounds light sparring, only a 3/6 minute warm up fast shadow boxing. Near the end of sparring I felt a chest twinge but within 2/3 hours I could hardly move, for 2 days I have layed still and can't get up without help or lean forward, it hurts to breathe deep and I can't yawn. The pain is in my right center upper chest but not sore to press from the outside. I have to keep my back straight and use my legs to stand along the pulling my self up using my left arm. Also I can't roll left in my sleep but struggler to roll right.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The first thing we have is to exclude is a calcium deficiency. Low blood Calcium levels are associated with increased muscle excitability, and could be a source of abnormal involuntary and painful contractions.
Secondly, the pain you feel at the level of your chest deserves a very careful evaluation. A good physical examination is required, with an appropriate medical history. This shall be important in deciding whether the pain is a mechanical, inflammatory or an infectious pain. A chest X XXXXXXX is of utmost importance especially under these circumstances.
You can start with simple analgesics like Acetaminophen to calm the pain as you take an appointment with an internist for a proper medical evaluation.
Thanks and best regards,
Wishing you good health.
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor