Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had blocked ear and told to be inflamed, prescribed antibiotic. No pain but feeling of air trapped. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
I have had a blocked up left ear since 2 weeks and it is beyond frustrating, I saw my doctor and he told me I had an inflamed ear (something to do with the membrane) and I was prescribed some Antibiotics.
I haven't had any pain from this luckily, just a constant feeling like air is trapped in my left ear, strange noises from that ear (a sort of cracking now and then) . I am still on antibiotics and its not helping me. Pleas suggest

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take medicines

Detailed Answer:
Blocked sensation or feeling of air trapped in ears or hearing of strange noises could be because of fluid in ear. That could be becuase of poor Eustachain tube function (Tube connecting middle part of ear and back of nose) which normally open and closes and maintain middle ear pressure same as outside pressure.

I think, this tube isn't functioning properly. This like - infection in nose, in flight when due take off and landing, long term reflux from stomach and so on.

In such situations, I usually order impedance audiometry - a test to know if there is any fluid behind your ears.

Generally the symptoms takes around 3 weeks to settle down. You are on antibiotics ,so continue that. In addition to antibiotics you also need oral and nasal decongestants and Antihistaminics. Consult your doctor for that. You would also require Mucolytics too, like Mucinac etc

While you plan to visit the doctor, you can start chewing, chewing gums to get good relief , but only when you are not having pain. Take steam inhalations

Get well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor