Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Had acute and long lasting shortness of breath. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I have had acute and long lasting shortness of breath. I need advice about treatment and proper referral.
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardiology or Pulmonary physicians

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. The symptoms of long-standing shortness of breath usually represent the presence of a chronic cardiopulmonary process, which indeed includes a humongous list of conditions such as deconditioning, heart failure, valve disorders, COPD, interstitial lung disease, asthma, etc. The best way to start would be to ask for a referral to either a cardiologist or a pulmonologist, who would conduct a through physical examination and decide about the next battery of tests needed for diagnosis depending on suspicion, which may include a chest x-ray, pulmonary function tests, echocardiogram, etc.
Treatment depends on finding the specific cause.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor