Had a facial done. Swelling and white head developed. Should I use ice on it?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: I had a facial done and the person doing it tried to pop what she said was a blackhead near my upper lip. It is now swollen, slight throbbing from time to time, and now has a white head developing. Should i ice it? warm compress? looks like I got punched in the lip.
the person doing the facial squezzed very hard; i am uploading a picture.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 30 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The picture shows it is infected now.
You need a course of antibiotics and painkiller medication.
Warm compress would hasten healing.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 19 minutes later
Thanks very much. Just to confirm, I should use a hot compress as opposed to cold? it looked like a fat lip so i was using ice. For the hot compress, the more the better? Would Doxycycline Hyclate be the right anti-biotic?Also, there is not really any pain so wouldn't need painkillers. I literally think it is a fat lip from too much pressure plus the pimple. Does this change your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
The picture shows that the left side of the upper lip is very much swollen compared to the right. It is a sign of inflammation due to infection. Painkillers in addition to relieving pain also resolves inflammation.
Hot compress increases blood flow which will be beneficial in healing of the infected part.
You need to take antibiotics like azithromycin.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini